Quote Originally Posted by bendermac View Post
just saw the trailer for it. never heard of this movie before. first impression: looks good but a rip-off from red dawn.
Tomorrow, When the War Began is probably one of the most loved Australian books. Most Aussies read it in school, it has a number of those moral and ethical themes that schools love you to discuss and write essay's about. The novel was released in 1993.

I can't speak to what inspired John Marsden (Red Dawn may have been his inspiration), but he did write a novel that was in strong contrast to Red Dawn. Most of the elements that make up Red Dawn are not present in Tomorrow (aside from the invasion theme).

Where Red Dawn is more of a macho American style fight back movie, Tomorrow is more about how everyone's lives are destroyed and the moral implications of being forced to kill to survivie.

I personally love the 1984 Red Dawn, but I think Tomorrow is a better story. I haven't seen the new Red Dawn, but from reports it's pretty bad.

It should also be noted that the new Red Dawn was conceived as a movie after Tomorrow was announced. I'd imagine some American producer saying "Oh Invasion movies are back hey, well lets remake the best one we've got" ...

For reference, it's popular for people to say that Tomorrow is Red Dawn for teen girls. I don't agree, but that's not uncommon to hear.